“Kindness is loaning someone your strength instead of reminding them of their weakness.”
How do we do this? By …
– Simply wanting to be there for them, and giving them our full and undivided attention when they take the risk of opening up to us.
– Listening with empathy and compassion when they tell us their painful story.
– Believing them when they tell us what has happened.
– Being there for them when they feel lost and abandoned.
– Communicating it is normal to have these intense feelings (and also to react in these very scary ways) when you’ve experienced a trauma like this.
– Telling them they’re doing an amazing job of coping.
– Repeatedly confirming this is really hard to deal with.
– Communicating you believe that they’ll get through this, even if things seem impossible right now.
– Continuing to check in…
View original post 22 more words